Friday 31 December 2010

NYE

For the last few days I've been trying to find something to do tonight, but every suggestion that's been made to me has left me feeling a bit.....well......meh. The fact is that I really don't like New Years Eve, and I don't want to celebrate it. So I'm not going to. I'm going to stay at home and watch the telly. I may even go to bed before midnight if I feel so inclined.

The problem with NYE is that it so emphatically marks the passing of time. It draws a big fat line under the year that was, and forces you to consider all your acheivements and failures, every decision and mistake that you've made over the course of the last 365 days. It also makes you look ahead to the following year, and all the things you have to look forward to or to dread. I seem to remember that I mentioned all this last year, and I will probably bring it up every year to come, because I'm a creature of habit. In fact, this is what I said of 2010 at its beginning:
This year will be the year I graduate from university. It will also, I hope, be the year when I get a permanent, full-time job, and the year when I move to a place of my own, which nobody can tell me not to decorate or fill with cats

Well....I graduated. I got a job. I haven't moved yet, but we have started getting estate agents round to value the place, so those wheels are in motion, and two out of three aint bad, as the Loaf says. It feels slightly affected to look back at my acheivements with pride gleaming from between the lines. Perhaps I should have sent Christmas cards after all. Then I could have included a little newsletter so that people I never see and who couldn't care less could read all about my year. But then, why bother? I can just direct them here and they can read all about it as it happens. Of course there are things I don't write about here. I've made more than my fair share of mistakes this year, and done things I'm not proud of, but I've learned from them. It's unrealistic to expect that I will never make a mistake again, so I suppose all anyone can hope for is not to make the same mistakes they made in the past. I wasn't going to make a resolution this year, but actually that's a pretty good one, and it seems a shame to waste it.

So......my resolution for 2011 is to Make Brand New Mistakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment