Saturday 18 December 2010

An early Christmas present

One of my Christmas wishes has already come true. The radiator in my room has been fixed! Technically it wasn't so much an elf that repaired it as a man from British Gas, but he got the job done in a handy elf-like fashion. Of course, there is one little fly in the ointment (I mean come on! It wouldn't be me unless there were fly-ridden ointment involved), and that is the fact that the radiator has been broken for years, and I hadn't had it fixed because I couldn't afford to do so. Or so I thought.......

It was free.

Yep.

I've been piling blankets on my bed, and shivering my way into and out of my clothes for years for absolutely no good reason whatsoever. Why did it never occur to me at any point to just call them and enquire as to how much it would cost? They would have told me it was free and the problem could have been solved.

Lesson learned: even if you pride yourself on being a die-hard pessimist, it's always worth checking whether something is possible. Occasionally people - and, indeed, utility companies - can surprise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment