Sunday 31 January 2010

Hackney Empire New Act of the Year

Last night my friend Hilda and I went to see another friend, Giacinto Palmieri, perform in the Hackney Empire New Act of the Year Final. With a few unfortunate exceptions the line-up was absolutely fantastic, and I'm sure many of the acts will be very successful. With such fierce competition Giac didn't place, but he did himself proud. With his witty observations on the English and Italian languages and his deceptively low-key delivery, the audience quickly warmed to him, and rewarded his efforts with some great (and well-deserved) laughs. Having seen some of his first attempts at stand-up at Burning Man a little over a year ago, I'm amazed and pleased by how far he's come so quickly, and by how much confidence and polish he's gained since those early days. Great job!

1 comment:

  1. Meg, I commented back then, but my comment was not published. I must have failed the test to determine whether I am human or not. Maybe the server thought I was a character. By the way, thank you again for coming, for your compliments and your constructive criticism, and above all thank you for making the first public while keeping the second private. Giac

    ReplyDelete