Friday 1 January 2010

Happy New Year

A new year, a new decade. Frankly I'm glad to see the back of the last one. Large portions of it really did suck beyond the telling of it although, thankfully, it did pick up towards the end. I always seem to get a bit maudlin about New Year; probably because I focus too much on what's gone wrong over the course of the year, instead of on what I've acheived. This was supposed to lead into a celebration of the year's acheivements, but all I can come up with is 'I got a job', and the cynical part of my brain responds to that with 'Yes, you did. In November. After being involuntarily unemployed since May. Whoop-de-do. Would you like me to list all the things you screwed up this year? I can you know'.
I don't like that part of my brain. It's mean to me.

I'm going to attempt to prove it wrong though. This year will be the year I graduate from university. It will also, I hope, be the year when I get a permanent, full-time job, and the year when I move to a place of my own, which nobody can tell me not to decorate or fill with cats.

These are not resolutions. They're just things that I hope will happen but which are pretty much out of my control. I have made a resolution however.

I Will Make a Fool of Myself!

I worry way too much about what people think of me. I don't dance because I'm bad at it and worry people will laugh at me. I try not to talk too much around people I don't know well in case I say something wrong or odd and they laugh at me. Do you see the theme emerging? Well stuff it. Does it really matter if people laugh at me? Can it possibly be worse than constantly worrying about the potential for it happening? I sincerely doubt it. So this year I'm going to dance badly, I'm going to say the odd things, I'm going to wear what I like, do what my impulses tell me and generally pull the poker out of my rear end. It promises to be great fun!
In my first act of not caring what people think of me, I'm going to put a link to this blog where my friends might actually see it and thereby risk boring them to tears. Sorry kids.

1 comment:

  1. Well, missy. I'm going to tell you EXACTLY what I think of you...
    I think you are pretty damn fabulous!

    Let's go dance badly together many, many times in this new year!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete