Saturday 19 June 2010

Baby on board

I gave up my seat for an old woman on the tube last night, and stood in front of her, reading my book. After a few moments of studying me, she started apologising profusely for accepting the seat, and tried to make me sit back down. I was briefly baffled, and then twigged that she thought I was pregnant. Oh god, how humiliating. It's not the first time it's happened to me, but it never stops being mortifying. Of course, me being me, I did as I usually do and tried to save us both from embarrassment by going along with it, smiling sweetly and insisting that I wasn't that far along and was perfectly happy to stand, while doing quick maths in my head in case she started asking questions about due dates. She didn't, just launched into a story about her pregnancies, before kindly advising me that Mothercare sells 'Baby on Board' badges for expectant mothers to wear on public transport. Maybe I should get one. Apparently it would be perfectly believable, and it would be nice to always get a seat. It could raise some awkward questions if I bumped into someone I knew though.

No comments:

Post a Comment