Saturday 13 February 2010

Books - The Enchantress of Florence

Given that The Enchantress of Florence was written by the winner of the Best of the Booker prize, it seemed a fairly safe bet that it would be a good read, and even with such high expectations it did not disappoint. Rushdie weaves this mesmerising tale of magic and seduction with such elegant and evocative turn of phrase that every word is a delight. He flits between a Russian dolls' nest of stories within stories, interlinking them with casual skill, and cleverly drawing the parallels and mirror images which thread throughout the book. Sensuality is the dominant theme here, from the lustful and power-hungry characters, to the almost physical induction of the sights, sounds and smells of India and Florence. I think it's safe to say that, however many books I get through, this will remain one of the highlights of my reading year.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree! I also loved "Midnight Children", "The Moor's Last Sigh" and "Shaliman The Clown". I also liked "Shame", while I couldn't finish "The Land Beneath Her Feet" and "The Stanic Verses".

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, it's "Midnight Children" that won the Booker of Bookers... sorry to be pedantic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite right Giac. That'll teach me to proof read more carefully before I press publish!

    ReplyDelete