Thursday 13 August 2009

On infestation, irritation and insecticide


I've lived with at least one cat since I was three years old. The one I have currently, Bob, is lovely; nearly as pretty as he is affectionate, and not quite as affectionate as he is stupid. Over the last few days however, something has occured which I have never experienced before, and which makes me want to lock poor little Bob in the shed for the rest of his life. Fleas. Just typing the word makes me itch, although that could be the dozens of bites I'm covered in. The worst of it is how dirty they make you feel. I know and you know that cleanliness has nothing to do with the issue, that any pet can pick them up and bring them into any house, but it makes me feel slatternly and unhygienic to have this problem in my home. And I don't know how to fix it. I certainly can't afford to have the place fumigated. Do I just treat the cat, keep hoovering every day and hope that it goes away? Or make myself an all-in-one bodysuit out of bin bags and duct tape in an effort to protect my poor, vulnerable skin from attack? Answers on a postcard please...

No comments:

Post a Comment